Tuesday, April 12, 2016

37) No!--A letter from Libby won't change his mind about Betty--Sept. 3, 1944

APO 920 = Base H, Biak, Dutch New Guinea
Mokmer Airstrip

Sept. 3rd, (1944)
Darling

I was right I did get a bunch of letters today. Sort of had a hunch I would when I said so in the last letter. You sure do get some stationary. Where in the world did you get that stuff. I sure did get a laugh out of it. In fact I showed it to some of the fellows I work with and we are still laughing at it. (They are playing records and I will write the names down as they play them). “This is A Lovely Way to Spend an Evening”

Glad you had such a nice visit with the folks. Ann & Pop sure must have a time kidding each other. I bet they really have a lot of fun. Honey I really wanted to remember your birthday but you know how it is. I won’t let it happen next time.

From the way you underlined the part about the rain there, I gather that it hasn’t rained in quite a while. Your little cousin sounds like a real cute kid. Maybe he takes after his God-Mother. Could be!

About those dreams you said you’d seen me in. Where can I get a shot of that stuff that makes you see things like that. Sounds wonderful. Tell me more.

Just played “Is you is, or is you ain’t my baby”

I really do think that my folks think about as much of you as I do. Their letters are full of nice things about you. They don’t need to build you up as far as sweetness is concerned. Darling as the days go by I chalk off my time over here. The days mean just one thing to me and that is every one brings us closer together. I am looking forward to that day with all my heart. I feel that at the end of the day I can really count another notch towards that goal that fills almost all of my thoughts to “Getting Home”.

I know that it will take me quite a long time to tell you all of the things that are in the back of my mind to tell you when we are together again.

I just finished reading a good book, “The Ringed Horizon” by Edmund Gilliand. Right now I am reading C.S. Forrester’s “Flying Colors”. It is about Capt. Horatio Hornblower. The movie we saw the night before last was pretty good or maybe I told you about it. “Follow the Boys.”

The four letters I received today were dated August 12th, 15th, 18th, 19th.

You mentioned in one of your letters that maybe letters from Libby would change my mind. No! definitely No! I didn’t make up my mind from any thing you said in your letters it was something much deeper than that. Understand what I mean?? I hope you do. Some how the same feeling lets me know that you are most sincere in your answers to my questions. Please don’t ever change from the same sweet girl that I want to be back there waiting for me.

They have stopped playing the record machine for a while.

We had a rain storm here and the rain came “straight” (horizontal with the ground). We just curled up on our blankets and sweated it out.

Are you sure sister Ann didn’t have anything to do with that funny stationary? Sounds like something about her speed. I’d like to see the others.

Did your mother and Ann ever leave on that trip yet?

Well the camp is beginning to quiet down now and the lights will be out shortly. I think I will take a couple of long looks at that little, little, little, little, too SMALL picture of my very best gal. (This is a hint to send a larger photo)

Then I will go to sleep and hope to meet you sometime in one of those dreams you write about. Could be! I hope, I hope, I hope.

Anyway lots of love and kisses. Till next time I torture the pen.

Jack

My regards to your Mother and throw a wise crack at Ann for me
You can write on both sides of the paper if you want to.

Notes:

  1. Betty's Birthday---On August 14, 1944 Betty turned 18.
  2. The Ringed Horizon--- World War II novel pitting a Nazi U-boat captain against the captain of the racing schooner "The Wild Rose.  Published 1943.
  3. Flying Colours---In the series that follows Horatio Hornblower, this story begins with Hornblower a prisoner of the French and soon to stand trial in Paris for piracy. Published 1938
  4. "A Lovely Way to Spend an Evening"---Written by: Harold Adamson & Jimmy McHugh.  Listen to it here: Link to performance by Kenny Baker
  5. "Is you is, or is you ain’t my baby"--- by Louis Jordan and Billy Austin.  Listen to the recording here: Link to recording

No comments:

Post a Comment