Thursday, February 25, 2016

8) Talk of OCS and Tank Destroyer Units--Jan. 1943

Buckley Field, Colorado
Tues. Jan. 5, 1943 7:35 PM


Dearest Betty,

Well first I want to thank you for keeping the old pen busy. Honestly honey it sure is swell to know that if by some chance that if I don’t get a letter today that I will surely get one tomorrow from you and believe me its swell to be able to count on it.

Honey I have decided to try to go to Officer Candidate School. Buddy Mantler tried to discourage me on this but I have made up my mind. I simply don’t want to be a nurse maid to a machine gun, for the rest of my time in the service. I really believe that I can do better than that. I am going to talk to the family about it tomorrow nite. If Buddy still don’t approve to he-- with him. However if he does it will help me a lot to have a letter of recommendation from an officer. It is what I want and no one can discourage me now that I have had some time to think it over.

I have heard a lot about the tank Destroyers and I hear O.C.S. comes quickly in that branch and besides I think I would like the fast action more than “cleaning another guys guns.”

However what ever is decided I will let you know about it but promptly. As a matter of fact you will probably already have heard from the family by the time you get this, but I wanted you to know just how I felt.

Tell Bob that I want him to take me up the next time I get to Louisville so keep flying on straight. Also, happy landings.

Honey, please keep the letters coming and don’t spare the stationary.

Love & kisses & etc. XXXXXXX

Jack



Buckley Field Training- image is my addition




Notes:
  1. Officer’s Candidate School---Near the end of his life Dad, began to talk more about his personal experience in the Air Corp. He told me that he had been very interested in Officer’s Candidate School, but found out that young officers at that time were being shipped to the front lines and would be “cannon fodder." So, thinking the better of that he stopped pushing to get into O.C.S.
  2. "Buddy Mantler"- I've tried to figure out who this friend of Jack's family was.  He is mentioned here and also on the earlier (Dec. 26, 1942) letter.  It turns out that Mantler is not a very common name and I think there is strong evidence that he is a man named Marshall J. Mantler, who went by the nickname "Bud." Marshall J. Mantler (1918-2008) was born in Bridgeport, CT but later lived in Atlanta, Ga. I have few clues as to how he would have become associated with Jack's family in the early 1940s. Marshall enlisted in the Army in 1941 and eventually rose to the rank of Major, serving as a tactical aide to Gen. Patton. The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum has an interesting recording of Marshall J. Mantler describing when he and Gen. Patton arrived at Dachau, at the time of its liberation- Link to Mantler Recording

No comments:

Post a Comment