Saturday, June 18, 2016

63) Busy Betty-Studying and Service Work--Dec. 18th, 1944


From Betty (Louisville, KY)

Dec. 18, 1944
Monday afternoon
My darling,


Please forgive me for not writing lately. I have been studying like mad. Unbelievable but true! We had our mid-term exams last week and I really had to study for them.

I got two letters from you last week. The first one was dated Dec. 1st and the second one Nov. 26th. This is the first chance I’ve had to write in over a week.

I’m going out to Nichols Hospital tonight from 7 to 9. I really feel like I’m doing some good when I go out there. Those boys really appreciate it. The funniest thing is you see a boy all bandaged up and in casts from his head to his feet and you feel so sorry for him. You think he must have been in every major campaign and have the Purple Heart, etc. Then you find he’s gotten drunk and driven his jeep over a cliff. You never can tell.

Wednesday night we’re having a Christmas party and a slumber party out at the house. It should be a lot of fun. I’m going to have to sleep on the floor I know, so I’m going to take plenty of covers.

It has been snowing off and on all day. I hope it’ll save some for Christmas. I like a white Christmas.

We went up to see your family the other night. They’ll be so surprised when they get the presents from you that I bought. I hope they’ll like them. It’s awfully hard to shop for someone else.

I have finally done all of my Christmas shopping. When I had finished yours I felt like I was through, but I hadn’t done any of mine.

Next Friday night I’m going to the hospital at Fort Knox from 2:00 to 4:00. On Christmas Eve I’m going to Nichols again from 2:30 to 4:30. Seems like there’s always something to do. All the girls are coming home from school and it’s really swell to see them all again.

Guess I had better start getting ready to go out to the hospital.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I think, in fact I’m pretty sure, I’m going to make my grades for the mid-term. Our grades come out Wednesday. We have to have a C average. I shouldn’t get any grade below a C, so I’ll make it easily.

I love you very much and always will. Be careful and remember I’m waiting for you.

All my love always,
Betty



NOTES:

Nichols Hospital was a U.S. Army General Hospital. It was located in the south end of Louisville off Manslick Rd just east of the intersection of 7th Street Road and Berry Blvd. and was the biggest hospital in Louisville during WWII.    Click here for photos



No comments:

Post a Comment