Wednesday, August 24, 2016

82) " We really have a swell place now"---March 3, 1945


APO 70-- Lingayen Airfield, Luzon, Philippines


Somewhere in the Philippines

March 3rd, 45
My darling,


I really am sorry about that last letter I sent. Now that I think of it must have been some what sarcastic in spots. We all write things that we don’t exactly mean.

Your talk about not thinking that I am seriously in love with you sort of took me completely by surprise. I really didn’t think that you doubted me that much. Or do you really think that I can’t tell my own mind at this stage in the game? We know each other better than to try to make me believe that you really don’t care.

We really have a swell place now. We are about 200 yards from the ocean and it is really nice. We had a porch started for our tent today. Filipino carpenters are doing the job for us.

We have a tent 16’ X 16’ and the porch will be 16’ X 8’, so you see we will have plenty of room. We plan on having a card table and a little snack kitchen out on the new porch. We get lots of eggs & corn & stuff like that to eat. Not in the Mess Hall!

I have received but two letters from you since my last letter. I really don’t know the dates on them and I left them in my shirt pocket in supply. I am glad you liked Johnny, he is a swell fellow. Guess he has told you plenty about the Squadron and maybe a little about me. I hope he hasn’t scared you too much. Tell him that I said we have a pretty cozy spot now but don’t come back to the 9th if he can help it.

Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to come home. I don’t’ see much chance in the near future but you never can tell.

Well enough for now except to tell you that I am yours and will come home to you if you want me ???

Sweet dreams,
Jack


My best to Anne & your Mom

Bamboo huts the 9FS lived in. Located right on the beach.
(photo from www.flyingknights.net  submitted by  R. Hawes, 9FS fighter pilot)

No comments:

Post a Comment