Wednesday, August 24, 2016

83) "Going after bamboo & lumber for our new mess hall"--March 7, 1945


APO 70-- Lingayen Airfield, Luzon, Philippines


Somewhere in the Philippines
March 7th, 45

Darling,


I am trying to keep my last promise to write more often. I think it has been only three days since the last one.

I received one of your very sweet & wonderful letters. The date it was mailed was Feb. 13th. I’m glad you finally got the present I sent you. I actually didn’t send it myself so I don’t know exactly what it looks like. You see I had one of the boys mail it when he went down to Mackay on leave. I will have to see it when I come home. Guess I won’t waste much time with things like that while I am home. I want to spend most of my time with you and the family. I have lots and lots of things I want to talk to you about. I really am jealous of that sorority. It seems that you say more about how much you love the sorority and how much it means to you than you do about loving me.

You know that I really am only joking and realize what a good time you have and how nice things are for you when you can be in a good sorority like Pi Phi.

We have been spending the last couple of days going after bamboo & lumber for our new mess hall. We have to go quite a few miles and we get to see the country side that way. We take some Filipinos with us to cut the bamboo & we usually come back to camp with bananas, egg, sweet potatoes, coconuts, corn & things like that. Today I got some garlic & peanuts.

I really hope that you stay as happy about going to school as you are. I feel sure you’ll make your grades ok. Maybe you can get so you won’t have to study every nite. Darling thats all except to tell you again & again that you are the only one I want to come home to. And I want you to be mine & waiting as I know you will. I will always be completely yours.

Sweet dreams,

My love to Ann & your Mom

Jack


NOTES:
Malay---City on the eastern coast of Queensland, Australia

Photo from www.flyingknights.net







No comments:

Post a Comment