Tuesday, August 2, 2016

77) I am in constant fear that somehow we will be separated.---Feb. 16, 1945


APO 321 Mindoro, Philippines

Somewhere in the Philippines
10:10 PM Feb. 16th 45

My darling,

Another long day gone by with lots of swell thougths of you but no mail.  I really did expect a few letters today.  Funny how you expect letters more on some days than you do on others.  Ever feel like that?  I thought of you last night until I finally fell asleep.  What have you been doing?  You tell me you are in a swell sorority with lots of nice girls.  Why don’t you tell me what some of the people you come in contact with are like?  What do you do on week-ends?  Do you still practice cooking or cleaning the house.  The simple little things you do and all that happens.  I think that if I know some of these things it will help be be ready to share them with you in the future. 

The most wonderful thing that I could imagine would be you & I doing things for each other and sharing all we have & all we are and all that happens.  Can you dream of anything that would be a more complete happiness.  I want so much for this to be all over soon so we can be together.  I am in constant fear that somehow we will be seperated.  Don’t ever let it happen that way.

We have been doing practically nothing for the last week.  It is so hot here in the daytime & about this time at nite (10:15 PM) it is very chilly.  Tonite it is really quite breezy out.  I hope the tent don’t blow down.

Bing Crosby is on the radio now and singing some swell songs.  “I Heard You Cried Last nite.”  Any songs he sings are swell.

The boys in the tent have just broken up a card game and it is getting a little bit too noisy for the way I feel so I suppose I had better quit & go to bed.

Goodnite darling & sweet dreams,

Yours,
Jack


NOTES:
  1. 9th FS Unit History- "February 14th a rumor arose that our Group was to exchange camps with the 18th Fighter Group, 13th Air Force, located at Lingayen on Luzon. For almost a week this rumor bounced around and was denied consistently. On 16 February cover was maintained over the beachhead at Nasugbu, Luzon, but the enemy made no appearance. On this day the news came that our Navy planes were attacking Tokyo in great strength. Needless to say, this news occasioned great elation."
  2. I Heard You Cried Last Night---This is a link to Frank Sinatra singing this song-- I couldn't find the Bing Crosby version. The music was written by Jerrie Kruger and composed by Ted Grouya. Click to listen

No comments:

Post a Comment